Monday, August 13, 2007

Preparations for moving to Japan

August 13, 2007

Amy and I will be leaving for Japan as soon as our passports and visas arrive. We want to aim for being there by August 22nd, 2007.

I have been offered a teaching position at the Marugame International Academy. I will be teaching English for children, teen, and adults. Amy will be working there part-time while raising our son Cash.

The application process for the job was fairly easy. I had a professor in my last semester, named John Bennion, whose son was filling the position and about to end his contractual term. Prof. Bennion gave me his son's email address and had me contact him about taking his place once he headed home. I did so, including digital copies of Amy's and my resumes, marriage license, diplomas, and birth certificates. We immediately submitted applications for passports at the same time in an effort to make this happen through the power of positive thinking.

Then the job was given to someone else. I mumbled and grumbled while I tried to figure out our next step. I took a job working for a bronze foundry while also applying to graduate school. After I had worked for about two months at the foundry, we got an email that the people who had replaced Rob Bennion's family were having to move to Sweden. Shortly after that we got a call from Fumi Morimura, a wonderful lady who is in charge of the school. She asked if we were still interested and how soon we would be able to make it out to Marugame Japan.

I put in my two weeks notice at work, and Amy started packing our apartment up. We have been visiting family for the last two weeks. We dropped off our cats with my brother in Texas and are in California now waiting on all of the final details to come through. Within the next three weeks, we should be on our way to the adventure of a lifetime in the Land of the Rising Sun.

0 comments: