Friday, November 9, 2007

A Loaf Story

Lately, I have been reading a lot of food blogs and tons of them mention a recipe for No Knead Bread. Well, I got a craving for homemade bread. I actually love kneading dough and don't have the patience for a 20 hour rising time, so I made a plan old white loaf tonight. The most PERFECT loaf ever--it rose beautifully, and the texture was perfect. I popped the loaf pan into our combination microwave/oven with eager anticipation. Surely, if it looked so beautiful going in, it would be amazing coming out, right? Wrong. The bread had risen to perfection, but alas, our oven is the size of a microwave (actually, it IS a microwave). My perfect loaf ended up completely burnt on the outside, as it was almost touching the roof of the oven, and completely gooey on the inside after fifteen minutes in the oven. So, I am missing a regular size oven tonight. There goes my hopes of an angel food cake for breakfast...I mean, birthdays.

Here is our sad little oven. On the upside, it's a great microwave. If you press the orange button, your food will be nuked until it's hot and ready, thanks to a nifty little heat sensor.

0 comments: